Published on: 8 October 2021

Prices increase by 5.5% in September compared to same month of previous year

Consumer prices were 5.5% higher on average in September 2021 than a year earlier. Significant price rises were measured over the last 12 months for alcoholic beverages and tobacco as well as motor fuels. In one month, consumer prices increased by 0.2% on average.

In 12 months, compared to September 2020:

Food prices were up by 4.4%, within which the price of edible oil by 32.6%, that of margarine by 15.4%, canteen meals prices by 9.4%, the price of poultry meat by 9.2%, that of buffet products by 7.6% and restaurant meals prices by 7.3%. Alcoholic beverages and tobacco prices rose by 11.2% on average, within which tobacco prices by 17.8%. Consumers paid 5.1% more for consumer durables, within which 12.9% more for jewellery, 11.6% more for living and dining room furniture, 10.6% more for kitchen and other furniture and 7.9% more for new passenger cars. Motor fuel prices became 21.6% and the price of household repair and maintenance goods 13.8% higher. Services charges were up by 3.2%, within which the repair and maintenance of dwellings cost 13.5% and the repair and maintenance of vehicles 8.3% more for consumers.

In one month, compared to August 2021:

Consumer prices increased by 0.2% on average. Food prices became 0.2% higher, and calculated without seasonal food items (potatoes, fresh vegetables and fresh domestic and tropical fruits in total) 0.4% higher on average. Within food, margarine cost 4.9%, salami, sausages and ham 1.7%, other meat preparations 1.5%, eggs 1.4%, rolls 1.3% and edible oil 1.0% more, while chocolate and cocoa 2.2% and seasonal food items 1.3% less for consumers. Motor fuel prices were up by 0.4% and the price of household repair and maintenance goods by 1.1%. Consumer durables became 0.9%, within which TV sets as well as kitchen and other furniture 2.3%, living and dining room furniture 1.2% and second-hand passenger cars 1.1% more expensive. Clothing and footwear prices increased by 0.7%. Consumers paid 0.5% less for services, mainly as a result of a price decrease of 9.8% for recreational services and of 2.7% for communication services.

In January–September 2021 compared to same period of previous year:

Consumer prices rose by 4.4% for all households on average and by 4.0% among pensioner households.

Consumer price indices, September 2021


Denomination Previous month = 100.0 Corresponding month of previous year = 100.0
Consumer price index100.2105.5
Harmonised index of consumer prices100.1105.5
Core inflation (original, seasonally unadjusted)a)100.2104.0
Consumer price index for pensioners100.2105.0

a) The Hungarian Central Statistical Office applies a new methodology for the computation of core inflation from April 2021, the indicator no more includes changes in the price of alcoholic beverages and tobacco. The time series were revised back to January 1995. Seasonally adjusted indices are available in Table of the Summary tables (STADAT).