Interactive charts and maps - Interactive population pyramids
An interactive population pyramid – named for its shape – shows the age structure of population by sex with changes over time. Its shape displays the type of the age structure of the given population:
- expanding pyramid: a population pyramid showing a broad base of young people – increasing type,
- contracting pyramid: an aging population – decreasing type,
- stationary pyramid: a population pyramid showing an unchanging age structure.
This application displays changes in the population age structure of Hungary by sex from 1870 to 2060.
Sources of data:
- 1870–1949: census
- 1950–2019: statistical yearbooks (data adjusted with the help of historical statistical time series), internal database
- 2020–2060: population forecast of the Hungarian Central Statistical Office – Demographic Research Institute
This software displays the age structure by sex between 1980 and 2016, not only for the country, but for the seven regions, Budapest and the 19 counties, making it possible to look at and follow changes in the age structure of different territorial units.
Move the cursor above the picture to learn about each feature.